Saturday, August 23, 2008

Tokyo International Festival

As I told you, I joined Tokyo International Festival yesterday. It was not so much big festival, but it was very interesting. I met the refugee who I met the other day. I said salaam and he said salaam. He said he will teach me Persian someday. He has lived in Japan for twenty years, but he speaks only broken Japanese because he couldn’t learn Japanese properly. By the way, look at this picture. These clothes which we put on are minority race clothes of Burmese. It was very cute cloth. I like it. Many volunteer activity groups gathered there. I talked with various people, for example, people who help street children of Pakistan. It was a valuable experience for me!!

4 comments:

Nina Liakos said...

What a cute picture! Are there many refugees from Burma in Japan now? I would imagine so. The political situation in their country is really appalling.

I know a lot of Greek immigrants here who have lived in the U.S. twenty years or longer and who still do not speak or write English well. It is not enough just to be in the country for most people; it's important also to study the language formally.
I look forward to reading your posts in the future. See you online at Tapped In on Sept. 27!
Nina

Nikki said...

I like that you put a picture up. Also, it seems like you are really enjoying this volulnteer experience. That is great!

Nikki said...

Hello,
Thank you for sending me the link to "Mr. Children". Although I had no clue what he was singing, I really liked the song. = )

Talia said...

Hi Ayumi,

My name is Talia and I live in Adelaide, Australia. I find your blog very interesting as I have been working with refugees in Australia for the last couple of years! I am thinking of coming to Japan next year to teach English as an ALT on the JET program and would like to ask you some questions about volunteering with refugees.

If it's ok, can you please send me your email address so I can send you some of my questions - I would really appreciate it.. it's hard to find information about refugees in Japan!
My email is: taliastump@gmail.com

Thanks! :)